- Stephanie Curtis
- Rosie Doyle
- Wendy Hoare
- Claire Kay
- Gina Lee
- Kelly Myring
- Matilda Pigneguy
- Owen Pitt
- Maisie Taylor
- Louise Vane
- Anne Whaley
Mariko is a senior associate at Family Law in Partnership. She handles all aspects of private family law and has a broad range of experience, frequently acting for high net worth individuals in financial relief and divorce proceedings as well as acting in children matters.
Mariko has acted on a number of complex cross border financial matters, often advising non tax resident and non tax domiciled individuals, entrepreneurs and individuals from the financial sector. She also has experience in dealing with property claims brought by third parties and unmarried cohabitants under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996.
Mariko is experienced in dealing with cross border private children law matters particularly proceedings where one parent seeks to remove a child from the jurisdiction contrary to the wishes of the other. She also advises on financial claims on behalf of the children of unmarried parents under Schedule 1 of the Children Act, including in a cross border context.
“I want my clients to understand all the options available to them, before guiding them through the process that they decide is right for them. Every family is different; I don’t believe in a ‘one size fits all’ approach. Once on the right path to resolution, I aim to provide pragmatic, commercial advice in a clear and effective manner.”
Mariko was named as a Rising Star in both The Spear’s 500 2019 Index of leading family lawyers and in The Legal 500 UK 2020, where she was also recommended for her family law expertise – ‘Mariko Wilson is exceptionally able. She is bright, organised, and forthright but charming'”. The Legal 500 UK 2017 describes her as “extremely numerate and a joy to work with.” The Citywealth Leaders List 2017 also ranks Mariko as a leading family lawyer noting that “She works tirelessly for her clients, going above and beyond at all times to act in their best interests.” Mariko was shortlisted in the Citywealth Future Leaders Awards 2018.
- Mariko acted on behalf of a wife in financial proceedings involving complex multi-jurisdictional tax issues. The marriage had been a long one with the complicating factor of a significant age differential. Both parties had been high earners but, as a result of the age gap, were at very different stages in their careers. Mariko successfully argued for a significant departure from equality in the wife’s favour on account of this factor and the wife’s premarital contributions.
- Mariko represented a husband in financial proceedings where a significant financial claim was made by the wife, (notwithstanding her own earning capacity), on account of the wife claiming that she was the primary carer of their 5 small children. Mariko successfully negotiated an immediate clean break on behalf of the husband, together with 50% of the capital, on account of the reality of the parties’ childcare arrangements (being an almost equal division of care).
- Mariko successfully secured the return of two children to their home in West Africa with their mother, the children having been wrongfully retained in the UK by their father following a holiday.
- Mariko acted for the father in successfully defending an application (made by his ex-wife) to remove their two children permanently from the jurisdiction to her home town in Canada. Having defeated the application for leave to remove, Mariko also secured a costs order in the father’s favour to preserve the re-housing fund for himself and the children.
What Mariko’s clients say:
“I just wanted to really thank you for your work on my case. It was a real pleasure to deal with you: your prompt responses, availability, knowledge and involvement in the case was just amazing. It made the whole process so much less painful and smoother. Your support and reliability were absolutely great. Thank you so much for an impeccable job!”
“I would like to thank you for all you’ve achieved for me…….Thank you so much for all your patience, kindness and wisdom”
“Thank you so much for all your support, you were amazing”
“A huge thank you to Mariko for handling my case with such professionalism; after 3 days in Court I have been able to return to work with a clear mind and with my pride and dignity intact. You provided me with the necessary confidence and an understanding of the strategy which I needed to be able to get through matters”
“A big thank you to Mariko, she is a truly excellent lawyer and an asset to your firm”
“Thank you, a traumatic process was made less so knowing that you were fighting my corner and having your support on a personal level”
“I just wanted to thank you for all you have done during my recent divorce. Knowing that you were there and knowledgeable about so many different aspects made all the difference. I was also at a definite advantage as a result of your efficiency. Finally, your long term vision and support made sure that both the children and I now have a secure future despite the many obstacles that were put in our path”
“It was money very well spent! Mariko performed perfectly, she is a great lawyer”
“Thanks so much for all your hard work and support…. I couldn’t have got here without you, you’ve simply been amazing”
“I’m very happy with my decision to work with Family Law in Partnership and would recommend you to anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation”
“She works tirelessly for her clients, going above and beyond at all times to act in their best interests”
Read Mariko’s recent blogs:
- Can I have a Share of my Spouse’s Pension on Divorce?
- Mental Capacity & Family Proceedings
- Debunking Cohabitation Myths
- Keep Calm and Stop Recording
Mariko is the Secretary of the London YRes Committee. She is a trained family mediator, and a member of the Family Mediators Association.