“I am a firm believer in the benefits of bespoke solutions for family law problems. Every family is different, and every client deserves a service that is tailored to their specific needs, values and priorities.”
Felicity is a consultant at Family Law in Partnership. She is a family dispute resolution specialist, whose innovative work has gained her an international reputation. She has particular expertise in financial cases with family businesses and overseas elements. In children cases, Felicity has many years of experience in acting for parents through the court process, experience that she brings to bear in helping families to find solutions that best meet their children’s needs.
Felicity is a mediator, including direct consultation with children, arbitrator (both financial & property and children matters) and a collaborative lawyer. She sits as a Deputy District Judge, and her judicial training and experience is invaluable in providing fair and effective arbitration and private judging services. She has pioneered the introduction of mediation-arbitration for family work in the UK, and in 2015 she received the Resolution John Cornwell Award for her outstanding contribution to supporting separating families.
Felicity offers her clients a flexible approach, adapting the way she works to each client’s individual needs and circumstances. At every stage, Felicity will give straightforward, common sense and pragmatic advice on how best to achieve the outcome you want, as cost effectively and as quickly as possible. More often than not, this can be done without involving the courts, particularly if both of you genuinely want to sort things out. If you do need the input of the court system, Felicity will ensure that your case is always fully prepared, persuasively argued and legally sound.
- Acted as mediator in a high conflict case involving arrangements for the children’s care, where the parents had been in litigation for over seven years. A successful solution was found, bringing to an end a cycle of court action which had lasted almost the whole of the youngest child’s life.
- Acted for a wife whose husband was controlling and abusive. He was a local headmaster and well-regarded in the community, and used allegations that she was mentally unwell to argue that their children should live with him and that he should retain the family home. Felicity successfully secured an order that the children should live with the wife, and that the husband should provide her with sufficient capital and maintenance to allow her to relocate to a different area of the country.
- Acted for the husband in financial proceedings. The case involved preserving his own business which he had built up over many years, securing his interest in the family home and investment property and enforcing the final order when the wife refused to comply. In the same case, Felicity represented the husband in court proceedings involving their children, and achieved a shared child arrangements order at a contested final hearing, against CAFCASS recommendations.
- Advised a well-known sportsman through the mediation process, so as to allow him to resolve problems around the care of his children quickly and discreetly.
- Acted as arbitrator where the parties had been in mediation and had not been able to find proposals that they wanted to take forward. The parties were still living in the same house, as neither would move out, which was putting huge pressure on both of them and on the children. The assets were modest, and the family did not want the cost and delay of court proceedings. The entire case was concluded within a few weeks of Felicity being appointed.
Felicity is well-known as a speaker and trainer, at home and abroad. She has presented at numerous conferences, as well as regularly delivering training in dispute resolution. She has had articles published in, amongst others, Resolution’s “The Review”, Jordan’s “Family Law Journal” and “Family Law Journal (Legalease)” on a range of subjects related to family dispute resolution.
What others say about Felicity:
“Although I had done some research online and had been impressed with your credentials, it was talking to you over the phone that provided me with the satisfaction that I was making the right choice. A choice I did not regret for a moment afterwards. Right from the beginning your flexible approach, empathy and professional competence made me feel at ease and confident. You definitely helped make a most difficult transition in my life, easier. You tackled all the complexities in my case proficiently and kept me in the loop always.” Former client
“I would unreservedly recommend Felicity Shedden as the service that I have recently received has been of the highest calibre. Felicity’s handling of very delicate medical details was both compassionate and yet highly professional.” Former client
“Felicity brings a detailed knowledge of the law, a passion for her job and unrivalled people skills to the profession. Her practice encompasses all areas of family law, with a particular emphasis on financial provision. Her analysis of cases is exemplary and she always employs impeccable judgment to best represent her client’s interests. The acid test? I would happily instruct her to represent me, my family and friends.” Barrister
“I cannot praise Felicity Shedden highly enough. Her consistently excellent work on my family’s behalf, over a two year period, leaves me eternally grateful.” Former client
“I have had the privilege of co-mediating with Felicity on a number of occasions – she has that rare combination of razor-sharp legal skills coupled with an unusual sensitivity and empathic response to her clients. This results in clients not only achieving mutually satisfactory outcomes but also with a sense of truly feeling heard and acknowledged.” Fellow mediator
Read Felicity’s recent review of the publication “The International Survey of Family Law”
Read Felicity’s recent blogs and news articles: