- Stephanie Curtis
- Rosie Doyle
- Wendy Hoare
- Claire Kay
- Gina Lee
- Kelly Myring
- Matilda Pigneguy
- Owen Pitt
- Maisie Taylor
- Louise Vane
- Anne Whaley
Daniel is a director at Family Law in Partnership. He handles a wide variety of family law issues, with particular emphasis on resolving financial matters following divorce and applications concerning children. He has particular experience of high net worth and international finance cases and complicated children cases, including those involving children born into same-sex families, parents with mental health issues and international relocation cases.
Daniel is a trained mediator and collaborative family lawyer, as well as a determined litigator when required.
“I strive to help clients achieve the best possible outcome, both for themselves and any children they may have, protecting their interests and using the process option that is most likely to achieve their goal. I recognise the importance of what is at stake: decisions made at the time of separation will have profound and long-lasting ramifications. I see part of my role as helping clients to focus on what is important and what needs prioritising – in the short, medium and long term. Each case is different and each client has their own particular needs. I tailor my approach to match the requirements of each individual client”
Daniel has acted for a wide range of clients including senior businessmen and women, bankers, lawyers and accountants, entrepreneurs, medical professionals, professional sportsmen and women, actors and those in the film industry, senior policemen and members of the military, and their spouses and partners. Many of Daniel’s clients are in the public eye and, as such, discretion and privacy are key concerns.
Representative matters include:
- Acting for the husband in his successful action against his wife and her solicitors in the reported case of L v L&H. The case involved obtaining an emergency injunction seeking the return of our client’s laptop after it was taken by his wife. The case was ground-breaking and ultimately led to a change in the law.
- Acting for clients in contested jurisdiction proceedings, including, for example, for the wife of a multi-millionaire living in Monaco. The husband wanted the divorce and financial proceedings to be dealt with in Monaco where his financial exposure would have been less. Daniel successfully argued for the divorce to be dealt with in England and a financial settlement favourable to Daniel’s client was achieved here.
- Acting for the husband who had mental health issues in a complex case in which the wife was a very high earner and the husband had been a ‘stay at home dad’.
- Acting as London agent on the important case of Re G (Children), involving children of a same sex relationship. Daniel successfully applied to the House of Lords to overturn a previous court decision which ordered that the children should no longer live with their biological mother.
- Acting for the husband in a complicated divorce involving injunctions and financial and children proceedings spread over three continents.
- Acting for a father who lived abroad and wanted his children to move from England, where they were living with their mother, to live with him. Only the youngest child wanted to move so the case involved separating siblings. The father argued successfully for the youngest child to live with him.
- Acting for a father in difficult proceedings in which the mother sought an order relaxing the restrictions placed on her spending time with her child. The application was opposed by the father on the grounds that there were risks of abduction and manipulation of the child. The case required the input of multiple psychiatrists and experts, and the consideration of foreign judgments in related previous proceedings. The court found in the father’s favour.
- Acting for former husbands and wives in applications to vary existing maintenance obligations.
What Daniel’s clients say:
- “Daniel Coombes is the perfect lawyer for the most unwelcome and tricky of times – divorce. Daniel is calm, hugely knowledgeable, fair minded and reasonable – he promises nothing he can’t deliver. Entering the uncharted, to me, seas of divorce Daniel was tremendously helpful and supportive, and talks to one in accessible language, making the whole process much less stressful. I’d highly recommend Daniel”
- “You are quite the best lawyer I know”
- “Daniel was absolutely spot on. I really appreciated his calm, expert advice and he was very patient”
- “Daniel is efficient, available, supportive and effective”
- “Extremely professional and helpful and nothing was too much trouble for you. I would not hesitate in recommending you”
- “Daniel came across not only as professional and accessible but also understanding and trustworthy…he built a rapport with me almost immediately”
- “Daniel is basically exactly the kind of lawyer you want by your side – he cares about his clients and it shows in everything from the promptness of response, through to the pragmatism of his advice, and the compassion of his approach”
- “Daniel provided invaluable guidance through a difficult and testing divorce process with a unique blend of understanding and family law expertise”
- “Daniel’s professional, calm and rational approach put me at ease. He considered, he acted and, above all, he listened”
- “Daniel’s empathetic detailed understanding of his clients’ needs and situation, combined with his astute guidance, sets him apart from others in this field”
What the legal directories say:
Daniel has been recommended by the leading directories, Chambers UK and Legal 500 UK, for family law for many years. The Legal 500 UK 2020 describes Daniel as a “meticulous lawyer with fantastic judgement“. The 2017 edition described him as – “tough, tenacious and very smart… he is loved by clients“. Chambers UK 2018 notes that he “maintains a broad family practice that includes financial and private children law issues. He has experience in acting for high-profile clients, same-sex couples and vulnerable parents“. Chambers UK 2020 note “he’s very pragmatic and focused on getting a result,” adding: “His attention to detail is second to none.”He was named as one of the leading family lawyers by Best Lawyers 2020. Further commentary includes:
“He is praised by sources as “the man for a crisis – he’s completely unflappable and can take the heat out of a situation.”” (Chambers 2017)
“incredibly thorough and balances that with great good humour and humanity – clients trust him on a legal and human level” (Chambers 2016)
“very keen on using alternative methods of dispute resolution, but will fight for his clients in court when needed” (Chambers 2012)
“noted for his capacity to handle multi-jurisdictional matrimonial finance cases” (Chambers 2013)
“very sharp and yet personable – it is very easy to approach him on issues” (Chambers 2014)
“bright, intuitive and professional” (Legal 500, 2010)
Daniel is a Resolution collaborative specialist and he sits on Resolution’s London Regional Group Committee. He is also a member of the London Collaborative Group. Daniel has written articles for Family Law, New Law Journal, LexisNexis Butterworths and Resolution’s ‘The Review’. Read his recent blog on Parental Alienation and Divorce